7/28/2007

Words to Live By

I was working on a post about being an Asian American or more specifically a Chinese American. After a a few days, I got bored. It's just not a problem or even much of an issue for me so what I wrote sounded contrived...as if I was having an academic argument for the argument's sake. Same as if I try to give people insights on how to loose weight. Even after gaining 40 plus pounds with my last pregnancy, I would only diet until the next meal. I still lost all the weight and some more in three months. I have no insight at all on weight loss because I never have to work much to lose weight. That certainly does not mean that obesity is not a problem, just not mine. Ditto for being a 1.5 generation Chinese American.

Fortunately for my blogging career I happened to chance upon the book "Words to Live By", a selection of C.S. Lewis's writings, at Borders today.

"for Scripture here cometh to our aide with this excellent reason, that we respect not what men merit of themselves but looke only upon God's image which they bear."
So often in the hospital , especially in the ICU, I question the value of my work. Many of my patients seem so "unworthy and irredeemable". So many of their illnesses stem directly from repeated self abuse and total disregard for the cost incurred to their families and society. Yet I and most of my colleagues carry on, repeatedly patching these people up just so they can return again in a few weeks. I have always thought that I do what I do because it's my job and I just want to do it well, and besides, it's business, I am just providing a service that I get paid for. Tonight, I am both humbled and inspired by that quote. I am reminded again of how important and powerful the influence of Christianity is on our society and how infrequently we give credit to the Bible.

Tomorrow is Sunday, we are taking our children to a new Chinese church close to my parents house so they can participate in Sunday school. If they learn nothing from me, they will learn how to be Christians.


No comments: