7/23/2007

A Lazy Summer's Day


I washed the kids twice today, not because they were dirty, but because I ran out of things to do with them. Mondays and Tuesdays are my "days off" so I really try to make these days as "educational" or at least, as TV free as possible.

Bo and I dropped Yeh Yeh off for her individual "enrichment session" at her school this morning. (I don't think her teacher gets paid by the school in the summer, so this is her "summer job".) To kill off 1/2 an hour, we grabbed some coffee/chocolate milk and donuts at a nearby cafe. Afterwards the two of them played at the playground for another 1/2 hr, we then stopped at my office to turn in my billing from last week.

The rest of the morning was spent at Stone Lake beach. We had a picnic by the lake, played in the water, and ate ice cream before heading home. Jamie (my babysitter) and I congratulated ourselves on a great outing without mishaps, washed them, then put them down for their afternoon nap.

What to do after nap was more problematic. We tried the backyard play set, watering the plants, driveway chalk, blowing bubbles, and crashing down the driveway really really fast in the red plastic car. After the stunt act, I canceled the planned picnic on the driveway with gold fish and watermelon and bathed them again, for an hour. I can only enjoy our driveway for so long.

Summer dinner in the country is a casual affair. Gold fish for Bo then pizza two hours later, cheese stick and Strawberry Yogurt Burst Cheerios for Baby, and ramen noodle 泡麵 for Yeh. I know what you are thinking, but I put flax seed oil in it at least. Later tonight I 'll popped a few uncrushed gold fish from the floor into my mouth as I clean up, eat the rest of the cheese stick that Baby can't get out out of the wrapper, and polish off the left over noodle soup that Yeh grudgingly allowed me to save for myself. I hope Scott is not planning on eating dinner tonight. He claims to have a stomach flu so he can hide in the bedroom to read the last Harry Potter book. He can always have bagel with humus and dried mango if he gets hungry, but then he would be busted. I already read the end of the book.

Tomorrow we will go to the county fair in the morning, and Yeh has ballet in the evening, another fun filled day.

I can't wait for Wednesday morning -when I go back to work.

1 comment:

Robin Yan said...

Thanks for the summary of your day with the kids. While we're now thousands of miles away from Chicago/La Porte, it really helps bring your kids cheeriness and playfulness back into our lives!